Table salt is refined salt, which contains about 97 to 99 percent sodium chloride. In contrast, natural sea salt and rock salt contains about 85 percent sodium chloride with the remaining 15 percent being composed of 80 various essential minerals like sulfate, magnesium, calcium, potassium and bicarbonate. These critical alkaline minerals help keep us hydrated, fill the body with powerful electrolytes and contain all of the trace elements needed for proper immune, thyroid and adrenal function. These same minerals are also completely stripped out of table salt.
The alkalinity of organic sodium helps neutralize acids that result from stressful lifestyles and poor nutrition. Without adequate amounts of sodium, the body will take minerals from its reserves, including the bones, to neutralize acid. This will eventually result in weak bones and later in life – osteoporosis. In much the same way that spring water with its naturally forming minerals is much better than distilled water, natural sea and rock salt blows processed table salt out of the water.
Sodium is vital for all of our cells. On each of them there is a sodium/potassium pump that helps and allows for the intake of nutrients and excretion of waste metabolites as well as boosting the creation of digestive enzymes and juices that allow us to extract and assimilate other vitamins and nutrients from the foods we eat. Unlike table salt, an excess of this type of sodium is easily excreted from the body. It may come as a shock, but most table salt is not only unhealthy, it is toxic.
Table salt is made from crude oil flakes. It is refined, processed and man-made. The refining process not only removes 80% of its natural minerals, it adds unhealthy synthetic chemicals such as anti-caking agents (aluminum), bleach and fluoride. Heavy metals like aluminum, lead and mercury have been exposed to be linked as causes of neuro-degenerative conditions like Alzheimer’s as well as cancer. Chelation therapy with Calcium EDTA will greatly help the body rid itself of these dangerous metals.
When one uses table salt to flavor their recipes, they not only ingest harmful toxins, but the risk of hypertension, edema and strokes increases. If one has diabetes or is overweight, too much table salt can make these conditions worse. It can also precipitate muscle cramps and spasms, anxiety and depression, salt addiction and weight gain. The vast amount of health issues attributed to “sodium” are directly related to the high amounts of table salt found in the processed foods most Americans consume. To prevent these health issues, ditch the table salt and the processed, fast, junk food and not the goodness that is sea and rock salt.
The health benefits of sea salt and rock salt are directly related to the constantly mentioned trace minerals. In many ways, it does the reverse of the damaging effects of table salt. It can aid in weight loss by promoting digestive function. In a sea salt bath, skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis can be drastically improved as the salt moisturizes, soothes, opens up skin pores and aids in improving circulation. It assists in reducing asthma by breaking up excess phlegm and reducing inflammation in the lungs. Unlike table salt, which can raise both your blood pressure and cholesterol, sea salt can actually lower both when taken with plenty of pure water. The 80 trace mineral ions found within it can greatly help regulate irregular heartbeats. In addition, natural salt helps ease depression, stabilizes blood sugar, keeps bones strong, and relieves muscle cramps and spasms – ladies take note!
But what about the iodine found in table salt? Is that still not critical? In order for one to make that distinction, one must know how much iodine the body needs. The recommended daily intake of iodine is only 150 micrograms for adults. One teaspoon of iodized table salt contains over 400 micrograms, and studies show that the average American consumes anywhere between 200 to 700 micrograms each day. That means that virtually all those who consume table salt are getting too much iodine, which can lead to autoimmune disorders, hyperthyroidism and an increased risk of thyroid cancer.